Straight back to work in Abisko and I have decided to sample the five lakes I sampled in the end of the summer again. So on tuesday, Thomas and I set out to sample Lake Vuoskajaure which was a pretty easy one as it is close to the road. The ice was 65cm thick. And today we headed upto Nuolja with the lift, brought all our gear and skiis and then set out to my second lake. It was a glorious day this morning, nice and sunny and only around minus 10. The ice was a little thicker on the Nuolja lake at 90cm thickness. We skiied back down to the chairlift, Thomas first of course and me behind struggling a little of course... he he he. I then got back on the chairlift and went back down on that but Thomas went down on his skiis. The slope on nuolja is way too hard for me, especially when wearing crosscountry skiis, there is not easy way to turn with them (or that is what I think). Anyhow, back in the lab I open up the sample bottles and man they stink, smells like rotten egg. So there was some hydrogen sulphide present for sure. This can take place in sediments as bacteria convert sulphate into hydrogen sulphide however it seems like the whole water column was full of this as I sampled about 1m underneath the ice. So it seems the whole lake is completely filled with this bad smelling gas, good thing I made a hole in the ice to let some out aye.

Thomas on the lake having morning "fika"

Lapporten


Thomas with all the gear

On my way down in the chairlift, pretty white snow.

Nice view from the chairlift, look rather different from the summer time that is for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment