Monday, June 04, 2007

Vesterålen-Andenes

Yesterday I came back from a weekend in Norway. I went to Vesterålen to visit a friend of mine Harald who works in Andenes. Andenes is the town at the tip of the island furthest north, the town is actually bigger than Abisko and has 4 supermarkets shock horror!!! Apparently they normally have real bad weather there. Rain and wind is the norm however when I was there it was glorious sunshine which we made the most of by being out hiking and checking out a bird island (bleikoya). On this island there were thousands of puffins nesting and puffins are one of my fav birds so it was amazing to see them. They are amazingly quiet birds and they run on the water to take off. However they seem to be a bit back heavy and sometimes they don't actually make the take off and have to settle back on the water. Bad design I think. The fell (mountains) in Norway look rather different to the ones around Abisko as they are more pointy than in Abisko. Actually when we went out to Bleikoya it looked so much like in Thailand that I for a minute or two thought I was much further south than 69degrees north! Anyhow I hope you will enjoy the beautiful photos from our amazing neighbouring country Norway.

1 comment:

Ben King said...

Hej, vad fint! Vill dit igen någongång! Så häftigt....
Klem