Monday, December 03, 2007

Back in Abisko

I am back in the little village again. I have now been here for two weeks and I am very happy to be back. A winter without snow is just hard to imagine I think. I have got another contract with Umeå University so I am working with CIRC again until the end of May next year. So I will spend the whole winter season up here. I am living in a different flat compared to before, it is a little bit smaller but I now have a balcony overlooking torneträsk, not a bad view I would say. I have also got 2 pairs of skiis now, my backcountry skiis and my downhill ones, ready to hit the slopes at Riksgränsen and Björkliden when they open up in the beginning of February. I have been out 4 times with my backcountry skiis, once in Kiruna and there I had the pleasure of skiing as the northern lights lit up the sky. On saturday I was out on the "kungsleden" and there are some places which are needing a little more snow but it was a nice day out there. Unfortunately we had a little storm on saturday night and a lot of the snow blew away so I am hoping for a nice downfall soon. Otherwise life in Abisko is relaxed and I am totally enjoying it, must be getting old... I have even started knitting!! I am making my first jumper and it is purple of course =)
Another very exciting thing that has happened is that I have got research money from the Swedish research board called FORMAS. This means I will get to do a post doc in Brisbane, Australia next year. At the moment I am planning on going over there for October/November next year. Will be a big change for me both when it comes to my research work and climate. From mainly a polar researcher to a subtropical researcher he he he. I do like my extremes!
I promise to put up some photos from Abisko soon and also some photos of Camilla's and her sister's lovely huskies. Anok (Camilla's dog) actually recognised me, or so I like to believe...

No comments: