Tuesday, August 29, 2006

First sampling day


Today I started my fieldwork and it had been glorious weather until today! I pulled up my blind in my flat this morning and shock horror this thick fog was covering Njulla (the mountain where my first lake is!). Typical I thought. However, no rain so I went ahead with arranging things for going up there. I took the chairlift to the top as this is still running and saves time and also my little legs he he he. It was incredible as I got into the big thick cloud, I could see nothing ahead of me. Very eerie and I was thinking, “how on earth will I find this lake”. Anyhow the lake is situated just next to the well marked track so I just followed the track and after about 30mins the lake appeared on my left, so I strolled down and started my sampling. Odd as I could not make out how big the lake was or anything as the fog was so heavy. I got 10L from there which I put in my backpack and struggled back down to the chairlift. Success at least I managed to sample my first lake and now I just have to wait for the little bacteria to grow in the lab. Got more labwork tomorrow but it is good to be busy. Feel very tired after the fieldwork, I always do but it is sort of a nice feeling as you have been outside and I know I will sleep well tonight.
I also signed up for the Kiruna 10km run on Thursday, first I was thinking not to do it but I changed my mind and thought hey I can do that no worries. It will probably take me over an hour though but as long as I finish the race, it is all good I say.

No comments: