I found something very surprising up here…. There is no recycling! I find that both odd and shocking as the only thing we can recycle here in Abisko Östra is plastic bottles (PET) and aluminium cans. All glass bottles, tins etc go straight into a big dumpster outside my house (there are few of them around the village). I suppose it will probably cost more for the recycling people to come out here and they would pollute more getting here to recycle the stuff but still it sort of makes me upset. As a small village should be able to be more or less self contained and be able to minimise the rubbish easily. But the infrastructure is not here for it I suppose and if I really wanted to recycle I could take the bottles and rubbish to Kiruna but that is just 110km away from here. I did hear that they do some recycling at the Tourist station so I think I might go down there (1km from here) to recycle as I feel bad throwing glass bottles and recyclables in the normal dumpster. Some things never change in life, we people like to have it easy and even in isolated places we thrive to obtain this without thinking about the consequences it may have upon the place where we live. But then again I cannot say I live the “way I preach” as I to like to buy things and be part of our big consumer society. Who can honestly say that they do not love the moment when they have just bought that gadget/piece of clothing and they can finally try it out. But maybe next time you pick something up to buy maybe just stop for a bit and think, do I really need this and if you then hesitate the slightest then I am sure that you do not need it. I will try this next time and let you know if I managed to not buy it.
Instead I say spend all your money on exploring our world, travel meet new people and take time to spend with your family and friends. Talking about travelling I booked myself a flight to

No comments:
Post a Comment