Monday, November 20, 2006

So another weekend has passed here in calm Abisko. I went into Kiruna (the big city!) with Camilla on saturday after lunch as we were gonna check out some dog-skiing competition, there is one person on skiis attached to his or her dog so the dog sort of pulls you along. They use these special skiis called skater skiis, sort of look like cross country skiis but you have to skate with them. Wow did they go fast with the dogs pulling them, and the dogs were mad so excited about running barking and jumping up and down funny to watch. After that Camilla wanted to take Anok for a skiing session and I borrowed Camilla's dad's skiis (skater skiis) to give it a try. Well that was a little bit harder than it looks! I managed to get around the 2.2km track but I was struggling man it is hard to push sideways and try to skate on skiis, my legs were getting wider and wider for each skatemovement so I had to stop now and then to put my legs together again to start all over again. I was properely knackered when I got back. After that bit of exercise, Camilla's mum had cooked a lovely raindeer roast for dinner which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then we drove back to Abisko, it is rather far and the weather was absolutely rubish, snow and bad visibility so Camilla had stop and a couple of times to go out and stretch her legs and wake up a bit, even though I was talking constantly to keep her busy. The road from Kiruna to Abisko is very dark no lights along the road as there are only mountains or mires around so can be tricky to drive I imagine. Anyhow we got back safely and I was happy to have tried out skater skiis. I have to get my own skiis... but then again there is hardly any snow up here in Abisko when compared to Kiruna. We have had some wind, pretty windy actually so some of the snow has blowed away and it doesn't snow that much here really. Anyhow work is going well and I have finished my first version of my polar virus review so waiting to see what the co-authors think before I proceed. Oh yea tomorrow the whole of Abisko will be without electricity from 9 to 12. We have had some problems with the electric here recently and it is not just off for a little bit when it goes but more like hours. So finally they are taking a look at it to see what the problem is. It has got cold again, the weekend was rather warm only minus 1 or 2 but today at lunch time it was down to minus 12.

No comments: