Since my last update the snow has quickly disappeared from Abisko and we are having very long days. Finding it a little hard to sleep as it does not get completely dark in my bedroom and you sort of loose track of time as it is light for so long (actually I do not think it gets completely dark now). One of the cool things I have done since my last update is to try out dogsleding. I got to try this up at riksgränsen on vassijaure (the lake up there). I had four dogs, three huskies and a bird dog. I found it a very interesting experience, the dogs are so excited to pull the sled and before the start they are just crazy! I got told not to let go of the sled whatever I did, always make sure you got a firm grip. It was not as hard as I thought but then again we did have a wide open space, there is no way I would have been able to make them turn that is for sure.
I have had a frequent visitor outside my house. The local elk, called number 81 because of it's tag. I will be doing something in the kitchen and can just notice something outside my window and it is number 81 walking by. Rather amuzing I think. Otherwise my time here is coming to an end and today I actually booked my train ticket for going "south" (for me Hudiksvall is still north of Sweden but I suppose it is south as it takes 18 hours from here). Feels a bit odd moving again but also exciting to do new things. I have applied for money from the Swedish research boards to do a post doc in Australia but think it is rather hard to get funded so will we see what happens.



No comments:
Post a Comment