Ahh finally we have a 5cm layer of dry powdery snow. I am aware that the rest of Sweden also got snow but I doubt that will last whereas up here I am pretty sure it will now be white for quite some time. When walking outside you now get that distinct crunchiness under your feet from the crisp snow, I love that sound. I am going to Kiruna on thursday with Camilla to get myself some skiis and also to see the Dr as my cold is still lingering on and I am just fed up with it now as it makes me tired and irritable and it is a pain when being outside arghhh. It is getting pretty dark here as well you can deffo tell that the days are rapidly getting shorter.
No sign of viruses on my bacteria, big disappointment but I just have to keep on trying , if a scientist you can never give up and most things never work the first time around and if they do then you have to doubt the results so you still do it another time... I have been asked to write a review on polar viruses for a potential special issue in a journal called freshwater biology. This I was very happy about as it means that I am moving up in the science world and that my name pops up when it comes to polar regions, excellent!
Otherwise the station is pretty empty and I have nothing exciting to report from there. We did have a pub dinner with some people from the village on saturday night. I don't believe everyone from the village was there but it was nice to see the locals (I don't know too many of them still). Of course the later the night got the more "casualties", one thing the northerners like is their drink and unless you are legless you have not had a proper night out (of course not everyone is like this but there are quite a few..).
Monday, October 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment